Amtrak Dining and Cafe Service discussion 2024 H1

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as someone whose adopted home is in the South......well, no, this is bait, I ain't taking it.

On topic: every time I used to get grits they either came plain, or already had butter on them. Most often they were plain and you added butter/salt/pepper to taste (though as I remember, they were ALREADY pretty salty)
Key phrase is ".. adopted home is in the South.."

I grew up in various places ( AFB Bases) in the South, and my dad was from South Carolina.

Every Southerner I ate with @ Breakast had Grits served with Butter and Syrup/Molasses or Jelly, plus as you said Salt/ most Southerners used too much of this.

YMMV😊

Last edited:
I never experienced "fresh contemporary" but the items looked much better in quality and definitely sounded more appealing to me.
I happened to take the Cap Limited the first weekend of the "fresh contemporary" aka wooden boxes of cold food. June 2018.

I didn't think they were half bad! However, I can see people complaining about lack of hot options. The options offered were also formulaic (protein on a salad was 2-3 options) so could either get boring or if you're an eater afraid of salad greens....

My train got cancelled in Cumberland, Maryland and we got bussed to DC, so the crew just started handing out more of these food boxes to the sleeper pax while we were stopped for 5 hours waiting for busses. So, I think by the end of it all I had tried every option between a dinner, breakfast, lunch, and then an unscheduled late lunch during the delay.

Back