Illinois Zephyr/Carl Sandburg Consist

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LinPhil

Train Attendant
I've been riding the Illinois Zephyr route quite frequently this year, and I wanted some clarification on its current/future consist. It's seems like it's changed throughout the year. I remember previously of being Amfleet/Horizon Coaches with a Business/Cafe. Then it was Venture Coaches with Business/Cafe. They even ran Superliners once.

When I recently rode (382/381), it seemed like the Business/Cafe was gone and is now is a "Northeast Regional" full cafe? There was a separate Business Class Venture Coach, this was the first time I experienced this. When I rode (380/383) there was Venture Coaches, 1 Horizon Coach, and a Business/Cafe, but it seems now that the Business/Cafe has also been replaced by a full cafe and the Horizon coach is gone. Also, it seems like Business Class is now allocated to a Venture Coach Car (on 380/383) rather than a Venture Business Car (on 382/381)? I presume the Horizon coaches are going to be used on the Borealis?
I would just like some clarification on what the business/coach product is now because it's been very inconsistent. It's unfortunate because I would often purchase Business because you could still ride in an Amfleet, rather than a Venture coach. Thank you!

I don’t live along the Midwest routes; however, having observed Midwest online, especially for the Borealis, 381/382 is considered the Carl Sandburg while 380/383 is the Illinois Zephyr. Despite running the same route, they are still considered different trains and are most likely receiving their Venture cars at different times. That’s why you’re experiencing a variation in equipment.

Also, yes, Horizons and Amfleets will be running on the Borealis as more Ventures begin to come in on other routes. Venture cafe cars should also be starting service soon, however a date for that is still unknown. I only know that there is one or more Venture cafes in the Chicago yard, including one captured on a Facebook post by Mark A. MacGregor.

Attachments

• IMG_2600.jpeg
    IMG_2600.jpeg
    412.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I rode the Carl Sandburg from Galesburg to Chicago a few weeks ago in business class. I was surprised when I was directed to the Venture BC car. It was at the opposite end of the train from the food service car. I did not make it up to the food service car to determine the type. IMHO it would be better if the food service car was adjacent to the BC car.

Back