Texas Eagle discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's Amtrak policy re: sleeper's and bus substitutions?

Seems to happen often enough from sas to DFW that I'm wondering if I should just book coach to DFW then sleeper on to Chicago
You'll probably get a Voucher if you miss meals during a Bustitution( not that Flex Meals on the Eaglete are anything to write home about).

The Eaglete CCC serves 2 Flex Meals, Breakfast and Lunch, between San Antonio and Ft Worth.

The ride up I35 on a Bus isn't exactly a joy ride, and can take as long as the Train does, so depending on your fare, the difference between Coach and Sleeper is up to what you feel is Value for Dollars spent.

With the current consist of the Eaglete( CCC, 2 Coaches and a Sleeper on the rear) I would just book Coach to Ft Worth. YMMV

You'll probably get a Voucher if you miss meals during a Bustitution( not that Flex Meals on the Eaglete are anything to write home about).

The Eaglete CCC serves 2 Flex Meals, Breakfast and Lunch, between San Antonio and Ft Worth.

The ride up I35 on a Bus isn't exactly a joy ride, and can take as long as the Train does, so depending on your fare, the difference between Coach and Sleeper is up to what you feel is Value for Dollars spent.

With the current consist of the Eaglete( CCC, 2 Coaches and a Sleeper on the rear) I would just book Coach to Ft Worth. YMMV
How did you get breakfast? I rode SAS-FTW on 9 April. No breakfast, no coffee in the sleeper until an hour after departure. What they have done to the Eagle is a disgrace.

How did you get breakfast? I rode SAS-FTW on 9 April. No breakfast, no coffee in the sleeper until an hour after departure. What they have done to the Eagle is a disgrace.
That must have been a "one off" occurrence since a Flex Breakfast on 22/422 is served in the CCC ( or in your room upon request if your SCA is any good )after departure from SAS.

If close to on time, it's also served to Sleeper Passengers boarding in San Marcos and "Last Call" is in Austin.

As for no coffee in your Sleeper, you must have had one of those lazy SCAs the Eaglete has on some crews.

I rode SAS-CHI on 10 April (the next day), and we did get breakfast and lunch between SAS and FTW. There was coffee in the sleeper, as well. Really bad crew? Or an equipment problem?

I saw the southbound TE go past my town (20 miles NE of the Pontiac, IL station stop) yesterday afternoon with 6 cars behind the 1 engine, which was 1 more than the usual consist Chicago-St. Louis (sleeper + CCC + 3 coaches). Since the Eaglette doesn't stop in my town, it was going by too fast for me to see what the extra car was, especially since it just looked like a normal Superliner car, with no wraparound ads or other special markings on the outside. I wonder what it could have been?

I was on the Eagle last Saturday, May 4, 2024, from Chi to BNL.

The consist was: engine, cafe/diner/ 2 coaches, sleeper (not a transition/dorm), and one coach at the very end. Note: this train was scheduled to end in San Antonio. On Saturday it does not connect to the New Orleans to Los Angeles Sunset Limited.

The train was so early into BNL that they called it a "smoke break". I asked the conductor about the consist. He told me that the last coach would be dropped in St. Louis. It was scheduled to return to Chicago on the next morning's Eagle.

I was on the Eagle last Saturday, May 4, 2024, from Chi to BNL.

The consist was: engine, cafe/diner/ 2 coaches, sleeper (not a transition/dorm), and one coach at the very end. Note: this train was scheduled to end in San Antonio. On Saturday it does not connect to the New Orleans to Los Angeles Sunset Limited.

The train was so early into BNL that they called it a "smoke break". I asked the conductor about the consist. He told me that the last coach would be dropped in St. Louis. It was scheduled to return to Chicago on the next morning's Eagle.
That's the typical consist for Chicago-St. Louis. However, the southbound TE consist yesterday (5/6/24) had 1 additional car, and I'm not sure what it was.
ETA: 2 engines on the southbound TE today (5/7/24), and back to the usual 5-car consist behind the engines.

Last edited:
So the sleepers are still at the end, for both 21 and 22?

Guess I take my cane (sigh). (I sustained a bone bruise earlier this spring and while it has MOSTLY healed, if I have to sit for a long time or in an awkward position, it hurts, and that knee is very stiff, and I'd rather not fall trying to go get a meal. Yes you can grab the backs of the seats but I don't know. This is the first time I've traveled hurt)

Apparently the Temple to Ft. Worth bus bridge is still going, I went to check the train status map (IDK, I prefer it) before leaving for the station in Mineola (I have a 2 1/2 to 3 hour drive) and was flummoxed to see the train was still near McGregor but apparently they just stop tracking when they do a bus bridge. Maybe they pick back up when it leaves FTW?

Latest posts

Back