Pictures of Cardinal

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Guest_Gingee

Does anyone have any pictures of the Cardinal (inside or outside)?

Thanks

Do you mean scenery, or of the physical train itself?

I have some photos taken when I rode the Cardinal two years ago. They aren't online right now, but it wouldn't be too hard for me to upload them if they will benefit you somehow.

I have a couple of interior shots of the Cardinal equipment from that trip, but the equipment is the same as any other single-level long-distance train, with the exception being that the Cardinal lacks a dining car. I could probably scrounge up some equipment photos, but others could probably post links to online photos just as quickly.

I am thinking of pictures of what we would see being in the train - dining car, rooms, etc. We haven't been on a train in many, many years.

Here's a few from my site and Jon Stein's website (Amfleet) of Silver Service equipment (they use the same equipment pool) and Cardinal equipment.

Coach Seats

Amfleet%20II%20Coach%20-%20Concept%202000%20-%20Coach%20Seats%20-%202%20Seats.jpg

Coach Car

Amfleet%20II%20Coach%20-%20Concept%202000%20-%20Coach%20Seats%20-%20Half%20of%20Car%20-%20Fronts.jpg

Lounge Car

jss_horizon_dinette_53500_int_a.JPG

Snack Bar

jss_horizon_dinette_53500_int_b.JPG

Cardinal in Washington

jss_p-42_67.JPG

I have one iffy shot of Roomette, it's hard to get a picture of these because of the angle. But here it is.

Viewliner%20Upper%20Bunk%20in%20the%20down%20position.JPG

If you have luggage, where do you store those items and are they locked inside those sleepers or are the sleepers even locked?

There is some room under the seats, or in a little cubby next to the top bunk to store carry ons. It is reccomended you travel lightly in the sleeper, as it can get crammed in the rooms very easily, check as much as you can.

battalion51 said:
There is some room under the seats, or in a little cubby next to the top bunk to store carry ons. It is reccomended you travel lightly in the sleeper, as it can get crammed in the rooms very easily, check as much as you can.
Unless of course you book the Bedroom, which has more space & room than the roomette does.

As for locks, the rooms can only be locked when you are inside. When you leave the room to head for the diner or the lounge car, there is no way to lock the bedroom.

Your luggage should be safe, just don't leave wallets, purses in the room. Take them with you. Additionally any electronic equipment, like DVD players, should be placed out of sight.

rmadisonwi said:
Unfortunately, checked baggage is not available on the Cardinal.
My bad, forgot about that one. Seems to go hand in hand, where there's a sleeper there's a bag car.

battalion51 said:
rmadisonwi said:
Unfortunately, checked baggage is not available on the Cardinal.
My bad, forgot about that one. Seems to go hand in hand, where there's a sleeper there's a bag car.
Except on the Cardinal. However, as smoking coaches get converted to coach-baggages, some Superliner trains may give up their full baggage car, and maybe then the Cardinal can get it back.

Okay, I am confused. You can't check your baggage? What do you do with all your luggage? We are headed on a cruise. This is not a compact trip. Maybe I should cancel.

We are debating about whether to loose sleep on a train or go on a plane (which spooks me) and get there within five hours - not 24.

Guest_Gingee said:
Okay, I am confused. You can't check your baggage? What do you do with all your luggage? We are headed on a cruise. This is not a compact trip. Maybe I should cancel.
We are debating about whether to loose sleep on a train or go on a plane (which spooks me) and get there within five hours - not 24.
You will be limited to two carry-on's per person and they must conform to Amtrak's size & weight limitations. Then you car attendant will have to get creative in trying to store those bags in the vestabules of the car.

If you need more luggage than you can fit in those two bags per person, then you'll have to consider alternative transportation. Either that or ship a bag to a friend if you have one near your final destination.

Sorry, but those are your only options. :(

Guest_Gingee said:
So in other words you have to have duffle bag size suitcases?
Here's Amtrak's rules.

50-Pound Limit: Each carry-on bag may weigh no more than 50 lbs.
Size Limit: Each carry-on bag may not exceed 28 x 22 x 14 inches in size.

Visible Tag Required: Each carry-on bag must be visibly tagged with the name and address of the passenger. Passengers may use their own personal identification tags, or may obtain Amtrak baggage identification tags at station ticket offices, or onboard trains from a member of the train crew.
You can read the full policy here.

So if your duffle bag fits those requirements, then bring it along.

I think we are okay in our bags. We measured them. Now does it matter if your bags are bulging? Would that make any difference? Remember I have two "teenish" age girls with us. You know girls.

Guest_Gingee said:
I think we are okay in our bags. We measured them. Now does it matter if your bags are bulging? Would that make any difference? Remember I have two "teenish" age girls with us. You know girls.
If you can smash it in, then it'll work as long as it's within the maximum limit.

Back